I had initially decided to not post about this one because, well, I am a man. However, as a critical thinker, and after seeing many outraged Facebook posts and comments I decided I had to step up on the soap box and address this one in hopes of getting some rational thinking out there about this topic. That being said, I want to state that I fully support breastfeeding as it is quite natural and best for the baby. I also support a woman’s right/choice to breastfeed wherever she wants to; people really need to get over the entire “OMG look a titty!” deal. The American society really is stuck in Puritan mode when it comes to anything even remotely related to sex and honestly, it is far past the time when we need to get over it, however I diverge from the main point here.
So, exactly what is at issue here with the image at the top of this post? Is it women breast feeding while wearing a military uniform? Women having a “sexual” body part exposed while wearing a uniform? The answer is no to all of the above. It has actually really started to irritate me how indignant people online are becoming about this issue when they are not even fully informing themselves about what the issue is.
What the main issue is, what the military is reacting to is the fact that the uniform was used to promote a cause, this is a no-no by military standards. You cannot use a military uniform to promote any cause whatsoever, that is it folks, nothing about breast feeding at all. These women have not fallen under any sort of punishment and really the only thing that will come about from this is the incident will be used as a form of education to remind soldiers about the policy concerning uniforms.
I beg you all, before commenting on an issue actually look into what it is about. Critical thinking skills are very important and will benefit you well in all aspects of your life. Make sure you are getting all the information available and keep asking questions until you have all your answers.
As a slight side note, given all the requirements for the appearance of a military uniform I honestly do not understand why women would breastfeed while wearing the uniform and risk staining it and then have a surprise inspection called. However, that is just me using those same critical thinking skills I was just talking about. By no means am I saying they shouldn’t, I just think that personally it is something I would not do just for the sake of convenience.
- ‘Proud’ military moms pose while breastfeeding (wtvm.com)
- We’re Seriously Debating Whether It’s Okay for Military Moms to Breastfeed While in Uniform? [Breast Intentions] (jezebel.com)
- Photo of breastfeeding military moms draws controversy (wjla.com)
- Mothers Photographed Breastfeeding in Their Military Uniforms (fox4kc.com)
- Military Moms Breastfeeding in Uniform Surprised at Controversy Stirred by Pic (inquisitr.com)
- Breastfeeding in Military Uniform is like Urinating in Uniform….WTH? (nolababybump.wordpress.com)
- Photo of military women breastfeeding in uniform stirs controversy (foxnews.com)
- Breasfeeding Women in the Military (singlemomontherun.com)
- Photos: Military Moms Proud to Breast-Feed in Uniform (abcnews.go.com)
- Breastfeeding time again (feministphilosophers.wordpress.com)
- Military Moms Breastfeeding in Uniform: National Pride or Over the Line? (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Breastfeeding Military Women Causes Freakout (buzzfeed.com)
- Breastfeeding Awareness Campaign Featuring Women In Uniform Causes Outrage (alan.com)
- Military Wife Defends Breastfeeding In Uniform Photo (news4jax.com)
- Moms in the Military Breastfeed! What Shall We Do? (thefashionofwords.com)
- Military moms in uniform breastfeed in ad (wnd.com)
- Controversy Erupts Over Photos Of Military Women Breastfeeding (thinkprogress.org)
- Breastfeeding in Uniform Stir Controversy (whoopsies.wordpress.com)
- Military Moms Breastfeeding in Uniform Stir Controversy (gunnyg.wordpress.com)